First came the tell-tale signs that divided the San Fernandoans from the San Fernandonots. “You Know You’re From San Fernando When…” had the comments section filled with die-hard San Fernando memories that dated further and further back. Now, it’s Sylmar’s turn.
So what makes you a tried-and-true olivemonger? A “neither-earthquake-nor-fire-will-stop-me,” horseback-riding, Caruso’s-regular type of Sylmar resident?
Well, you tell me. I came up with a list of 20 reasons that hint at what might make you bleed Sylmar, but I’m no expert. All the Sylmar residents stand up, and add your own reasons in the comments section below or on i am san fernando’s Facebook page.
You Know You’re From Sylmar When…
1. Horses get the right of way at crosswalks.
2. You’ve wondered how an impressive automotive museum ended up smack in the middle of your neighborhood.
3. You know at least one person who works or goes to school at Mission College.
4. El Cariso Park on Thanksgiving morning is as traditional as turkey.
5. You would never claim Rancho Cascades.
7. (Ladies) You know at least part of your payday will be spent at Fashion Gal.
8. You deal with U.S.A. Fitness because you can’t beat $14 a month.
9. You’ve gone for a round at Ballerz Batting Cages.
10. You’ve wished the Metrolink train station was an MTA subway station.
11. You’ve had your dog groomed at a warehouse.
12. You’ve been spooked/unimpressed with Gravity Hill.
13. Your team has celebrated at Shakey’s.
14. Fine dining time = Casa Torres
15. You’ve been to Tia Chucha’s for a book reading/open mic session/solstice ceremony.
16. You’ve had bad Chinese food after a trip to Sam’s Club.
17. You’ve hit the Jack-in-the-Box on Foothill for a late-night craving.
18. You’ve had better luck parking in Hollywood than at the Sylmar Library.
19. You’ve seen a view of the Valley from Veterans Park.
20. You’re about 15 minutes away from a hike, roller coaster, mall and horse trail.